Here’s someone who’s channeling the holiday spirit! Next up under the spotlight is singer-songwriter Felson Palad! Watch him rock his solo in “A Joyous Christmas With FASO!” on Saturday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m., at White Memorial Church.
1. Felson’s mother played an integral role in Felson’s development as a musician. While growing up in Dasmariñas, Cavite, an elementary teacher told him, “No, Felson. You can’t sing.” He ran home crying, embarrassed to think that he could even sing! A staunch believer in her son’s musical abilities, his mother signed him up for a church choir. Felson’s choral experience, as well as his routine of singing to his mother to help her wind down at the end of each day, fostered his love for music.
2. He definitely proved that teacher wrong. A California State Assembly Spotlight Award Winner, Felson is a seasoned vocalist and musical director. He’s a resident artist at The Upper Room, and he has performed in and directed concerts for many ministries around the world, including Brand-New Day, Music for Life and the We Exalt You Jesus Foundation. Here’s a throwback to his soulful performance of the Brian McKnight classic, “One Last Cry.”
3. Music runs in the family! While in high school, Felson formed a band with some friends. During a jam session, his five-year-old little sister, Sheena, piped, “Kuya! Mali kanta mo (Big bro, your singing’s sounds off!)” Not too long after, the Palad siblings performed duets during their church’s worship services. This duo continues to perform together to this day! You can stream their album “In the Palm of His Hand” on Spotify and other major music streaming services.
4. Felson loves microbiology! Back in the Philippines, he majored in Human Biology at De La Salle University-Dasmarinas and taught bio at De La Salle and Far Eastern University.
5. Felson sticks to his morning routines. He can never leave his room without writing up a to-do list for the day and making his bed. He says he can always hear his mom’s voice reminding him to do so! In addition, one of his favorite snacks is Tajin on apple slices.