We at the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra believe music to be a core component of our humanity. Our sense of being needs music in the same way that our bodies need food, water and air. It is our greatest hope that our Education & Outreach Program enrich the lives of the communities that we serve.
We Filipino Americans have a very rich music tradition and are very proud of our talent. FASO provides opportunities for children to learn about our rich music traditions and to help them develop their own unique identities. We offer children a chance to reach their full musical potential, and to perform and share their talent with their communities.
FASO actively seeks out children in underserved communities. We teach a variety of repertoire: Philippine folk songs, the Philippine National Anthem, Kundiman, zarzuela, Harana, among others.
To give you a better idea of the breadth and depth of our program, summary of our education and outreach efforts from the 2016-2017 school year:
FASO Education & Outreach Program 2016-2017 Summary
1. We welcomed four children’s choirs to perform with us at our 2016 holiday concert.
- These choirs come from across the Los Angeles community, from as far as Riverside, Calif.
- This group consisted of more than 100 children, mostly second generation Filipino Americans, but also children of other backgrounds, including those of Hispanic, Caucasian, Asian and African-American backgrounds.
- These children’s choirs performed both English and Tagalog songs.
2. We offered classes on traditional Filipino instruments used in rondalla and kulintang to 50 children attending summer school at the Pilipino Cultural School in Cerritos, Calif. and the Pilipino Workers Center in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Echo Park.
3. Over 50 children attended FASO’s music workshops and 25 of them performed at our FASO Music Recital. For more on our workshops, check out this page.
4. We share our original orchestral arrangements with community and youth orchestras all over the world such as the Orchestre Symphonique du P’tit Val de Sambre of Belgium, Orquesta Escuela de Puerto Vallarta of Mexico and the Taytay Youth Philharmonic Orchestra of the Philippines.
5. We answer requests from parents searching for sheet music for Filipino music that their children can play and perform at events. We also give referrals to parents searching for ensembles in which their children can perform Filipino music.
Your donations to FASO help us keep our Education & Outreach Program alive. Thank you for your generosity.
Are you an aspiring musician? Or do you happen to know an aspiring musician? Learn more about our Music Education Workshop Program here!
FASO is supported, in part, by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs, the California Arts Council. Bank of Hope and John DeFato. If you’d like to share the gift of song with our students, you can make a donation to our Music Education & Outreach Program here.