From Gershwin to Mars! Celebrate the holidays with the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra on Saturday, December 9, 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Join us for an evening of holiday, pop, Broadway and OPM (Original Pilipino Music) tunes. We’re featuring the Golden State Warriors’ lucky charm Nayah Damasen, the award-winning Immaculate Heart of Mary Children’s Choir and many more!
Our Holiday Pops Concert is upon us (It’s tomorrow!) And we have one last artist under the spotlight—a pianist beloved throughout the Southern California Filipino-American music community for his talent and signature wit—FASO’s very own Paul Conception, Read up on Paul in our latest spotlight and watch him rock a piano solo in our performance of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center!
1. Paul earned his Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance at University of the Philippines (UP). He ended up teaching at UP right after his graduation! He later took up graduate studies in Piano Performance at the Musashino Ongaku Daigaku in Tokyo.
2. His musical travels didn’t stop in grad school! Paul performed throughout Europe and North America as the pianist of acclaimed UP Concert Chorus and as a member of the folkloric UP Kasarinlan Ensemble.
3. Paul’s also a choir director! He currently directs the St. Lorenzo Ruiz Church Choir in Walnut, Calif. (one of our community choirs featured in our upcoming Holiday Pops Concert!) He’s directed the choirs of First United Methodist Church in Downtown Los Angeles, Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Temple City, Calif. and St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church in Lomita, Calif.
4. Paul is heavily involved in Southern California’s music scene as an active collaborator and teacher. He’s a member of the American College of
Musicians/National Guild of Piano Teachers and the Whittier Branch of Music Teachers’ Association of California (MTAC). Paul has had the distinction of being MTAC’s past president!
5. A really fun fact: Paul performed for Mrs. Rosalyn and President Jimmy Carter for Mrs. Carter’s eighty-eighth birthday in Plains, Ga.!
Watch Paul Concepcion rock his piano solo (and our other repertoire!) tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. Online ticketing closes today, but you can always order tickets over the phone at 213.248.9850! Or purchase your tickets tomorrow at Arcadia Performing Arts Center’s physical box office right starting at 5:00 p.m. right before the concert! The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
Today, the GOD Faith Choir, an ensemble based in the St. Philomena Catholic Church in Carson, Calif., is under the spotlight! You can watch this ensemble perform as part of a coalition of community choirs at our Holiday Pops Concert on December 9 at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center!
1. The GOD Faith Choir, formerly known as the St. Philomena REP Choir, got started in 2003! Catechists in the St. Philomena Religious Education Program brought students enrolled in St. Philomena catechism classes together to sing for church events in 2003. Since then, the ensemble has touched the lives of 3 generations of choristers!
2. The GOD Faith Choir is a community of kids from all over Carson! They practice every Saturday afternoon as part of the St. Philomena music ministry. And this ensemble can’t do all that it does without its team of volunteer pianists, guitarists, advisers and coordinators, many of which are parents of choristers and St. Philomena catechists!
3. This ensemble also acts! In 2014, the ensemble performed their first Lenten play, a two-day presentation titled “The Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa Pantomime,” which featured the choir’s first generation. The cast was 50 members strong! The second generation of the GOD Faith Choir put on another Lenten play titled “Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa – Re-enactment” in 2016. Both plays were presented to the St. Philomena parish community!
4. The choir had the honor of performing at the Tulak Karunungan (Learn the Knowledge) Benefit Concert, spearheaded by 2009 “CNN Hero of the Year” Efren Peñaflorida. A teacher and social worker, Peñaflorida founded Dynamic Teen Company, an organization that offers education to underserved Filipino youth as an alternative to street gangs. And each year, the GOD Faith Choir performs at the City of Carson Philippine Independence Day Mass, at Veterans Park!
Watch the GOD Faith Choir on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
This article was written in memory of the GOD Faith Choir’s Assistant Director Reymond Umali, who recently passed away on November 18 of this year. FASO sends its condolences to Reymond’s family, friends and fellow parish community members.
Here at FASO, we love engaging and collaborating with choirs in our community! Our December 9 Holiday Pops Concert at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center features seven choirs from around the Greater Los Angeles area. We believe these choirs deserve time in the spotlight, both on- and offstage. So we’ll be featuring a few of them in this round of our spotlight series. Today, the choir Vox Kapelle is under the spotlight!
1. In 2011, Christine “Teng” Cayetano and her future husband, Christian, put together a group of friends and family to sing at their wedding. This group became Vox Kapelle! Teng and Christian, who coined the ensemble’s name (and is also a flutist!), continue to lead the group together (as a musical power couple!)
2. Tagalog songs are Vox Kapelle’s specialty! According to Teng, the choir does what it can to give their Filipino American audiences a little taste of home. And as a volunteer ensemble with no auditions(!), the ensemble believes in and relies on the values of commitment and camaraderie to keep itself together.
3. Vox Kapelle serves not one, but three churches—Holy Family in Artesia, Calif., St. Paul of the Cross in La Mirada, Calif. and St. John of God in Norwalk, Calif.! The choir frequently collaborates with multiple Southern California choral collaborations as well.
5. And a tidbit on Vox Kapelle’s musical leader: Teng’s love of music began at the age of eight when her lola gave her her first piano lessons. Despite her initial disinterest in piano, those lessons took her places! While pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing at the University of the Philippines, Teng rose through the ranks of her parish’s a cappella ensemble, One Voice. And in 1996, she became its director. Now based in the United States, Teng works as an RN and continues to make music!
Watch Vox Kapelle on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
It will be a special, heartwarming evening when the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra (FASO), the only Filipino symphony orchestra outside of the Philippines, presents a “Holiday Pops Concert” on Saturday, December 9, 6:00 p.m., at the beautiful Arcadia Performing Arts Center.
FASO, praised for its immensely entertaining, outstanding concerts, will perform beloved, popular American and Filipino Christmas music with an adult choir comprising of members from Holy Family Chorale (Glendale), St. Lorenzo Ruiz Catholic Church Choir (Walnut), St. Jane Frances de Chantal Choir (North Hollywood) and Vox Kapelle Choir (Artesia), and a children’s choir combining members of GOD Faith Choir (Carson), IHMC Children’s Choir (Los Angeles) and Precious Blood Children’s Choir (Los Angeles).
“Shane is a 10-year-old ventriloquist who sings very well,” said Louie Ramos, FASO’s vice president and one of the show’s arrangers. “He went through regular FASO auditions and competed against topnotch singers who sing in the usual way, with their mouths open.”
Ramos added, “We have always featured kids in our concerts. In our interaction with the children’s parents, we noticed that these dads and moms are talented singers, too. So we will be featuring them in a group number.”
Tickets at $100, $60, $40 and $25 are available through Andy Tecson (323) 467-5096. Tickets are also available here. More information at www.fasofoundation.org. Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007.