Due to popular demand, the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra (FASO), under the musical direction of Robert “Bob” Shroder, will bring back “Swing the Night Away” on Sunday, May 20. “Swing…” is the one night when the acclaimed orchestra transforms into a swinging big band and attendees can dance to their hearts’ content!
And to make this “Swing…” show even swingier, this year’s theme is masquerade ball! So, bring out your masks and dancing shoes to The Signature in Granada Hills, Calif., which will be transformed into a fun, elegant night club.
An exciting line-up of guest performers will be announced soon. Save the date for this annual FASO event, which brings dancing aficionados and music lovers together. DIs or dancing instructors will be available to guests.
A $125 ticket includes cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m.The Signature is located at 11130 Balboa Blvd. Granada Hills, CA 91344. For tickets, you can call Bob Shroder at 818.395.8936, Arlene Ferrolino at 213.248.9850 or Andy Tecson at 323.467.5096.
Note: Deedee Magno Hall is swinging with us again at FASO Swing the Night Away 2018 on Sunday, May 20 at the Signature Banquet Hall in Granada Hill, Calif.! Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. For ticket info, check out the event page!
“Swing the Night Away” is less than a week away, so we’d like you to get to know a few of our artists before then! First up is vocalist and actor Deedee Magno Hall! Remember to watch her perform this Saturday, March 18 at the Glendale Hilton. Cocktails at 6:00 p.m. and dinner at 7:00 p.m.! Get your tickets here.
1. Born in Portsmouth, Va. and raised in San Diego, Deedee grew up in a family that loves to sing and dance. Her father, a Chief in the US Navy, taught himself how to play guitar and piano. There was always music playing, on the radio, in the house and in the car! Ironically enough, when she was little, Deedee wanted to become a dentist despite her musical upbringing!
2. In 1989, Deedee was an original cast member on Disney Channel‘s “All New Mickey Mouse Club” (MMC), which was taped for a live studio audience at MGM Studios (currently Hollywood Studios) in Orlando, Fla. As she reminisces on those days, she thanks her loving and supportive family for moving across country with her. She also recalls that she was grateful to do what she loves—acting, singing and dancing—as a job at the time, but remained oblivious to the lack of Asian representation on TV at the time. Here at FASO, we’re certain that Deedee’s presence on MMC inspired young Asians and Asian-Americans to claim space on TV and beyond.
3. After the MMC, Deedee was one of five Mouseketeers chosen to join a Pop group called The Party, one of the first artists on Disney’s label Hollywood Records. The Party recorded four albums and toured the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia, and opened for Vanilla Ice, Taylor Dayne and Color Me Badd. When Deedee reached high school, she asked fellow MMC alum and NSYNC member JC Chasez to her senior prom. He said yes!
4. More recently, Deedee has found great success in TV, film and on stage! She’s played Kim in Miss Saigon on Broadway, and on the musical’s Asian Tour and its second U.S. National Tour. Deedee has also appeared in “Wicked” as Nessarose on its first US National Tour and in “If/Then” on Broadway and on its U.S. National Tour. In Los Angeles, Deedee was Mrs. Walker in East West Player’s producton of “The Who’s Tommy” and is co-founder of the mommy singing group, Mama Bares.
5. Deedee voices the perfectionist Gem warrior Pearl on the acclaimed TV show “Steven Universe” on Cartoon Network!! Deedee won “Best Female Lead Vocal Performance in a Television Series – Comedy/Musical” at the 2014 Behind the Voice Actor Awards for her performance as Pearl. “Steven Universe” has quite a few beautiful musical numbers and Deedee lends her amazing vocals to them. Here’s an example! In this clip, Deedee (as Pearl) trains her young ally in the way of the sword.