From Gershwin to Mars! Celebrate the holidays with the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra on Saturday, December 9, 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Join us for an evening of holiday, pop, Broadway and OPM (Original Pilipino Music) tunes. We’re featuring the Golden State Warriors’ lucky charm Nayah Damasen, the award-winning Immaculate Heart of Mary Children’s Choir and many more!
Today, the GOD Faith Choir, an ensemble based in the St. Philomena Catholic Church in Carson, Calif., is under the spotlight! You can watch this ensemble perform as part of a coalition of community choirs at our Holiday Pops Concert on December 9 at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center!
1. The GOD Faith Choir, formerly known as the St. Philomena REP Choir, got started in 2003! Catechists in the St. Philomena Religious Education Program brought students enrolled in St. Philomena catechism classes together to sing for church events in 2003. Since then, the ensemble has touched the lives of 3 generations of choristers!
2. The GOD Faith Choir is a community of kids from all over Carson! They practice every Saturday afternoon as part of the St. Philomena music ministry. And this ensemble can’t do all that it does without its team of volunteer pianists, guitarists, advisers and coordinators, many of which are parents of choristers and St. Philomena catechists!
3. This ensemble also acts! In 2014, the ensemble performed their first Lenten play, a two-day presentation titled “The Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa Pantomime,” which featured the choir’s first generation. The cast was 50 members strong! The second generation of the GOD Faith Choir put on another Lenten play titled “Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa – Re-enactment” in 2016. Both plays were presented to the St. Philomena parish community!
4. The choir had the honor of performing at the Tulak Karunungan (Learn the Knowledge) Benefit Concert, spearheaded by 2009 “CNN Hero of the Year” Efren Peñaflorida. A teacher and social worker, Peñaflorida founded Dynamic Teen Company, an organization that offers education to underserved Filipino youth as an alternative to street gangs. And each year, the GOD Faith Choir performs at the City of Carson Philippine Independence Day Mass, at Veterans Park!
Watch the GOD Faith Choir on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
This article was written in memory of the GOD Faith Choir’s Assistant Director Reymond Umali, who recently passed away on November 18 of this year. FASO sends its condolences to Reymond’s family, friends and fellow parish community members.
Happy early Thanksgiving, FASO fam! Today, 12-year-old powerhouse vocalist Janelle Feraro, a featured artist at our Holiday Pops Concert, is under the spotlight!
1. Born in San Francisco, Janelle started singing at the age of 3. Her first public performance was at her church, the Crossroads Christian Center!
2. Janelle is a proud member of Bantay Bata Voices (BBV), based in San Jose, Calif.! This awesome ensemble regularly organizes fundraising events to benefit underprivileged families and survivors of child abuse in the Philippines.
3. A decorated vocalist, Janelle has won an impressive number of awards and honors. In July 2016, she brought home 3 gold medals and 2 divisional awards at the World Championship of Performing Arts (WCOPA) as a member of Team USA! She won the 2016 Golden Voice Anthem Contest, which earned her a spot to to open a San Francisco 49ers game with her own rendition of the National Anthem. Janelle also sang the National Anthem with her choir for the Golden State Warriors’ Filipino Heritage Nights in 2016 and 2017.
4. Janelle is not only a decorated singer. She’s also a decorated yellow belt Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner! In 2015, Janelle brought home gold at Jiu-Jitsu by the Bay and at the Charles Gracie Invitational Tournament. She won gold again at the Charles Gracie Invitational Tournament in 2016!
5. This summer, Janelle lent her voice to Spark of Creation Studio‘s Polynesian dance troupe Te Pura O Te Rahura’a. Their collaboration took flight at the 2017 Tahiti Fête of San Jose, the largest Tahitian dance competition in the United States!
Watch Janelle Feraro on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
Here at FASO, we love engaging and collaborating with choirs in our community! Our December 9 Holiday Pops Concert at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center features seven choirs from around the Greater Los Angeles area. We believe these choirs deserve time in the spotlight, both on- and offstage. So we’ll be featuring a few of them in this round of our spotlight series. Today, the choir Vox Kapelle is under the spotlight!
1. In 2011, Christine “Teng” Cayetano and her future husband, Christian, put together a group of friends and family to sing at their wedding. This group became Vox Kapelle! Teng and Christian, who coined the ensemble’s name (and is also a flutist!), continue to lead the group together (as a musical power couple!)
2. Tagalog songs are Vox Kapelle’s specialty! According to Teng, the choir does what it can to give their Filipino American audiences a little taste of home. And as a volunteer ensemble with no auditions(!), the ensemble believes in and relies on the values of commitment and camaraderie to keep itself together.
3. Vox Kapelle serves not one, but three churches—Holy Family in Artesia, Calif., St. Paul of the Cross in La Mirada, Calif. and St. John of God in Norwalk, Calif.! The choir frequently collaborates with multiple Southern California choral collaborations as well.
5. And a tidbit on Vox Kapelle’s musical leader: Teng’s love of music began at the age of eight when her lola gave her her first piano lessons. Despite her initial disinterest in piano, those lessons took her places! While pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing at the University of the Philippines, Teng rose through the ranks of her parish’s a cappella ensemble, One Voice. And in 1996, she became its director. Now based in the United States, Teng works as an RN and continues to make music!
Watch Vox Kapelle on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!