This summer, FASO’s hosting a special two-day songwriting workshop on August 18 and 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Glendale Adventist Academy! Learn more about this special workshop here and sign up here! Get to know one of our accomplished workshop clinicians, songwriter Dodjie Simon, in this special artist spotlight!
1. Does Dodjie Simon sound familiar to you all, FASO fans? At “FASO Goes Pops” at the Alex Theater back in 2015, we performed Dodjie’s “Ikaw Lamang” and “Tatak ng Pilipino” with FASO artists Shelby Miguel and Bryce Gomez respectively! We also performed “Tatak ng Pilipino” with 7-year-old vocalist Mirielle Enrique at “FASO is Bach to Rock!” at the Ford Theatres. Watch our performance below!
2. Dodjie won Grand Prize at the 1999 Metropop Music Festival with his song “Can’t Stop Loving You,” interpreted by Lani Misalucha. His other awards include the Grand Prize at the Asia Song Festival with “You Lift Me Up,” interpreted by Jaya, and second place at the Manila International Song Festival with “One More Time,” also interpreted by Lani Misalucha.
3. Dodjie was former president of KATHA, an organization of Filipino composers, and Vice-President of the Filipino Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (FILSCAP) from 1995 to 2000. He continues to crank out new music through his own music publishing company, Elzar Simon Publishing!
4. Dodjie is leader in both the music world and the corporate world! He’s currently director of New York University‘s Enterprise Data Management Service Management and Infrastructure Support! Over the past 15 years, he’s held CIO-level positions at several other companies.
5. Dodjie earned his degree in Industrial Engineering at the University of the Philippines. Currently based in New York, he’s married to psychiatrist Elise Nazal Simon and together they have three kids: Joshua, Elisha and Grace. He’s also a foodie and enjoys food from a wide variety of cuisines!
Learn the fundamentals of songwriting from Dodjie Simon at our Songwriting Workshop August 18 and 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Glendale Adventist Academy at 700 Kimlin Dr, Glendale, CA 91206. For more information, check out our workshop event page here. Apply here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org