*Special Swing Promo: Buy a table and get two tickets FREE! For more details, call a contact below!*
Thanks to popular demand, we’re back swinging the night away on Sunday, May 20! But this time, it’s a masquerade ball! Join guest artists Deedee Magno Halland The Filharmonic‘s VJ Rosales, and our big band for dinner and swing dancing at the Signature Banquet Hall in Granada Hills, Calif.! Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m.
Questions? Or ready to swing and nab tickets? Call:
Robert Shroder | 818.395.8936
or Arlene Ferrolino | 213.248.9850
“Swing the Night Away” is coming up thisSunday, so we’d like you to get to know one of our featured artists, singer-songwriter, vocal coach and musical director VJ Rosales! Remember to watch him perform this Sunday, May 20 at the Signature Banquet Hall in Granada Hills, Calif. Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m.! For tickets, call Robert Shroder (818.395.8936) or Arlene Ferrolino (213.248.9850).
1. You may know VJ Rosales best as a member and musical director of the LA-based Filipino-American a cappella group The Filharmonic. Under VJ’s leadership, The Filharmonic has made leaps and bounds in the musical world with their urbanesque hip-hop sound and ’90s nostalgia! They were semifinalists on NBC’S a cappella competition “The Sing-Off,” they played the a cappella group Manila Envy in Universal Pictures’ “Pitch Perfect 2” and they’re a mainstay on “The Late Late Show with James Corden“‘s “Riff-Off” segment! They’ve also shared the stage with Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas and Pentatonix! And these make up just a portion of their many accomplishments! Here’s a taste of VJ’s a cappella arrangements for The Filharmonic!
3. VJ grew up in household of “professional” karaoke singers! His parents forced him to sing at parties, but he secretly loved it. Having reveled in making music as a member of his high school’s marching band and vocal jazz ensemble, he realized that he wanted to pursue music for the rest of his life. After a brief stint pursuing the medical field at California State University Long Beach, VJ turned to music once again while on tour with CSULB’s premiere vocal jazz ensemble Pacific Standard Time. While the ensemble was onstage for a performance, VJ’s teachers offered him a scholarship on that condition that he majors in music! As you can probably tell, he took the offer! He earned a Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies from CSULB’s Bob Cole Conservatory of Music.
4. VJ’s considered an expert in the world of a cappella! His membership in musical ensembles in high school and college inspired him to teach aspiring artists. He serves as group director of A Cappella Academy, run by Ben Bram and Avi Kaplan of Pentatonix. He’s also vocal coached and arranged for pro football players on CBS’ “Most Valuable Performer“! For an inside look into his mentorship to students at A Cappella Academy, he has a vlog!
5. Listen up budding artists! VJ loves mentoring young artists like you and has some words of wisdom to offer, “Wake up everyday and understand your passion. Go for that passion no matter what it is. Do you and do it well!”
Remember to watch VJ Rosales swing with us on Sunday, May 20! Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. Signature Banquet Hall is located at 11130 Balboa Blvd. Granada Hills, CA 91344. For tickets, you can call Bob Shroder at 818.395.8936 or Arlene Ferrolino at 213.248.9850.
Note: Due to popular demand, we’ve opened up an afternoon session from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.!
Join one of our clinicians for a Music Education workshop designed to encourage healthy singing for vocalists grades 3 – 12. We offer two sessions, one from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and one from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.! Interested? New applicants, fill out our application form here. Returning students, sign up for a new workshop here.
If you’d like to learn more about what we do our Music Education & Outreach Program, check out our web page!
Due to popular demand, the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra (FASO), under the musical direction of Robert “Bob” Shroder, will bring back “Swing the Night Away” on Sunday, May 20. “Swing…” is the one night when the acclaimed orchestra transforms into a swinging big band and attendees can dance to their hearts’ content!
And to make this “Swing…” show even swingier, this year’s theme is masquerade ball! So, bring out your masks and dancing shoes to The Signature in Granada Hills, Calif., which will be transformed into a fun, elegant night club.
An exciting line-up of guest performers will be announced soon. Save the date for this annual FASO event, which brings dancing aficionados and music lovers together. DIs or dancing instructors will be available to guests.
A $125 ticket includes cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. The Signature is located at 11130 Balboa Blvd. Granada Hills, CA 91344. For tickets, you can call Bob Shroder at 818.395.8936 or Arlene Ferrolino at 213.248.9850.
1. The GOD Faith Choir, formerly known as the St. Philomena REP Choir, got started in 2003! Catechists in the St. Philomena Religious Education Program brought students enrolled in St. Philomena catechism classes together to sing for church events in 2003. Since then, the ensemble has touched the lives of 3 generations of choristers!
2. The GOD Faith Choir is a community of kids from all over Carson! They practice every Saturday afternoon as part of the St. Philomena music ministry. And this ensemble can’t do all that it does without its team of volunteer pianists, guitarists, advisers and coordinators, many of which are parents of choristers and St. Philomena catechists!
3. This ensemble also acts! In 2014, the ensemble performed their first Lenten play, a two-day presentation titled “The Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa Pantomime,” which featured the choir’s first generation. The cast was 50 members strong! The second generation of the GOD Faith Choir put on another Lenten play titled “Station of the Cross, Via Dolorosa – Re-enactment” in 2016. Both plays were presented to the St. Philomena parish community!
4. The choir had the honor of performing at the Tulak Karunungan (Learn the Knowledge) Benefit Concert, spearheaded by 2009 “CNN Hero of the Year” Efren Peñaflorida. A teacher and social worker, Peñaflorida founded Dynamic Teen Company, an organization that offers education to underserved Filipino youth as an alternative to street gangs. And each year, the GOD Faith Choir performs at the City of Carson Philippine Independence Day Mass, at Veterans Park!
Watch the GOD Faith Choir on Saturday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center! Celebrate the holidays with us and support tons of talented FilAm artists at our Holiday Pops Concert. You can purchase tickets online through this link or through our ticket extraordinaire, Andy Tecson, at 323.467.5096. The Arcadia Performing Arts Center is located at 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007. See you all there!
This article was written in memory of the GOD Faith Choir’s Assistant Director Reymond Umali, who recently passed away on November 18 of this year. FASO sends its condolences to Reymond’s family, friends and fellow parish community members.
The Filipino American Symphony Orchestra (FASO), a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting Filipino music and artists, and the only Filipino symphony orchestra outside of the Philippines, will hold “A Night of Symphony,” its first ever gala benefit dinner. This gala will take place on June 17 at the majestic estate of Hollywood legend Mary Pickford in Hancock Park, Los Angeles.
Edwin Raquel, one of FASO’s board members, and his family will graciously open their home for this event, which will raise funds to sustain FASO’s concerts and music education programs.
The special evening will honor FASO’s first Excellence in Music awardees and distinguished contributors to the pioneering orchestra’s mission and objectives. The names of the honorees will be announced soon.
This will be a unique chance to be on the sprawling grounds of the former home of iconic silent film actor and producer Mary Pickford, and a prime filming location for movies like the 2011 Oscar Best Picture “The Artist” and “Rocky IV.”
Filipino chefs making Pinoy cuisine a worldwide sensation will prepare a sumptuous dinner.
Guests will be serenaded by FASO under the baton of musical director and conductor Robert “Bob” Shroder. Select performers and Music in Excellence awardees will also entertain the guests.
In addition, guests will have the opportunity to bid on unique auction items, including a week’s stay at an apartment on Champs-Élysées in Paris; a round-trip ticket to Manila via Philippine Airlines plus a trip to Coron, Palawan; a stay at the Handumanan estate in Kalibo, Aklan, with complimentary river cruise and sightseeing to coincide with the popular Ati-Atihan Festival, and a stay at Boracay; and a chance to conduct FASO, no less.
Another highlight will be the Rigodon de Honor, the traditional Filipino dance by couples.
The exciting gala, sponsored by Bank of Hope, Pacific Western Bank, Silver Saddle Ranch & Club, LBC, Omni Hotel, Kanstul Instruments, Philip Stein watch, and the Philippine Department of Tourism, will feature two parts. There will be a meet and greet for a limited number of guests, starting at 4:00 p.m. with the guest of honor, awardees and other distinguished guests.
The second part will be the main event – awards program and dinner – which will begin at 5:30 p.m.
This Gala event is supported, in part, by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. This event is also supported in part by a generous grant from the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs and the California Arts Council.