On Saturday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m., we’ll be celebrating the holidays at White Memorial Church in “A Joyous Christmas With FASO!” That evening, we’ll be showcasing amazing talent from our community. So we’d like to introduce you to some of our featured artists before then. Vocalist and composer, Vhen Bautista, a.k.a. Chino Romero, kicks off this round of our spotlight series!
1. Vhen’s over 650 thousand (!) Facebook, YouTube and Smule followers know him as Chino Romero. And the Gawad Amerika Foundation crowned him Pinoy Smule King in 2018. Listen to one of the Smule hits that earned him his title.
2. The pride of Ilocanos around the world, Vhen’s been bestowed the titles of International Ilocano Balladeer and Prince of Ilocano Songs. He’s recorded thousands of Ilocano songs, and popularized Boy Christopher’s composition “Walang Ibang Mahal” and Aaron Paul Del Rosario’s “Maling Akala.”
3. Vhen’s vocal and songwriting chops have earned him Awit Awards! He won two Awit Awards for Best Regional Recording for his songs “Kantaanka” and “Kaasi a Puso!”
4. Does Vhen’s last name sound familiar, kababayans? His daughter and fellow vocalist Mikaela Bautista performed with us in FASO Goes Pops, Holiday Pops, FASO@10, and A Summer Symphony! And you’ll get to hear her again at our upcoming holiday concert. Here’s a throwback to her FASO Goes Pops performance back in 2015. The apple definitely doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Psst. Vhen even wrote this sweet song about his daughter, which she covered!
5. Vhen’s latest Ilocano album, Pakalaglagipan Kenka Nanang, is a lovely tribute to his mother. It features both Mikaela and his son Keanu! You can give this album a listen on Spotify and on other major music streaming services.