To gear up for our Walt Disney Concert Hall debut on Saturday, August 3, we’re kicking off this round of our spotlight series with a family of singers — Cliffton Hall, Deedee Magno Hall and Brycen Hall. Read more
“Swing the Night Away” is coming up this Sunday, so we’d like you to get to know one of our featured artists, singer-songwriter, vocal coach and musical director VJ Rosales! Remember to watch him perform this Sunday, May 20 at the Signature Banquet Hall in Granada Hills, Calif. Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m.! For tickets, call Robert Shroder (818.395.8936) or Arlene Ferrolino (213.248.9850).
1. You may know VJ Rosales best as a member and musical director of the LA-based Filipino-American a cappella group The Filharmonic. Under VJ’s leadership, The Filharmonic has made leaps and bounds in the musical world with their urbanesque hip-hop sound and ’90s nostalgia! They were semifinalists on NBC’S a cappella competition “The Sing-Off,” they played the a cappella group Manila Envy in Universal Pictures’ “Pitch Perfect 2” and they’re a mainstay on “The Late Late Show with James Corden“‘s “Riff-Off” segment! They’ve also shared the stage with Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas and Pentatonix! And these make up just a portion of their many accomplishments! Here’s a taste of VJ’s a cappella arrangements for The Filharmonic!
2. VJ’s also made a name for himself as a soloist! He offers an impressive collection of covers and original works on his YouTube channel. He’s performed alongside Fifth Harmony and Melissa Polinar, and collaborated with a cappella group VoicePlay and The Filharmonic beatboxer Niko Del Rey in this fantastic arrangement of Jason Derulo‘s “Talk Dirty”!
3. VJ grew up in household of “professional” karaoke singers! His parents forced him to sing at parties, but he secretly loved it. Having reveled in making music as a member of his high school’s marching band and vocal jazz ensemble, he realized that he wanted to pursue music for the rest of his life. After a brief stint pursuing the medical field at California State University Long Beach, VJ turned to music once again while on tour with CSULB’s premiere vocal jazz ensemble Pacific Standard Time. While the ensemble was onstage for a performance, VJ’s teachers offered him a scholarship on that condition that he majors in music! As you can probably tell, he took the offer! He earned a Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies from CSULB’s Bob Cole Conservatory of Music.
4. VJ’s considered an expert in the world of a cappella! His membership in musical ensembles in high school and college inspired him to teach aspiring artists. He serves as group director of A Cappella Academy, run by Ben Bram and Avi Kaplan of Pentatonix. He’s also vocal coached and arranged for pro football players on CBS’ “Most Valuable Performer“! For an inside look into his mentorship to students at A Cappella Academy, he has a vlog!
5. Listen up budding artists! VJ loves mentoring young artists like you and has some words of wisdom to offer, “Wake up everyday and understand your passion. Go for that passion no matter what it is. Do you and do it well!”
Remember to watch VJ Rosales swing with us on Sunday, May 20! Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. Signature Banquet Hall is located at 11130 Balboa Blvd. Granada Hills, CA 91344. For tickets, you can call Bob Shroder at 818.395.8936 or Arlene Ferrolino at 213.248.9850.
Due to popular demand, the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra (FASO), under the musical direction of Robert “Bob” Shroder, will bring back “Swing the Night Away” on Sunday, May 20. “Swing…” is the one night when the acclaimed orchestra transforms into a swinging big band and attendees can dance to their hearts’ content!
And to make this “Swing…” show even swingier, this year’s theme is masquerade ball! So, bring out your masks and dancing shoes to The Signature in Granada Hills, Calif., which will be transformed into a fun, elegant night club.
An exciting line-up of guest performers will be announced soon. Save the date for this annual FASO event, which brings dancing aficionados and music lovers together. DIs or dancing instructors will be available to guests.
A $125 ticket includes cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. The Signature is located at 11130 Balboa Blvd. Granada Hills, CA 91344. For tickets, you can call Bob Shroder at 818.395.8936 or Arlene Ferrolino at 213.248.9850.
Note: Deedee Magno Hall is swinging with us again at FASO Swing the Night Away 2018 on Sunday, May 20 at the Signature Banquet Hall in Granada Hills, Calif.! Cocktails at 5:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. For ticket info, check out the event page!
“Swing the Night Away” is less than a week away, so we’d like you to get to know our featured artists, vocalist and actor Deedee Magno Hall! Remember to watch her perform this Saturday, March 18 at the Glendale Hilton. Cocktails at 6:00 p.m. and dinner at 7:00 p.m.! Get your tickets here.
1. Born in Portsmouth, Va. and raised in San Diego, Deedee grew up in a family that loves to sing and dance. Her father, a Chief in the US Navy, taught himself how to play guitar and piano. There was always music playing, on the radio, in the house and in the car! Ironically enough, when she was little, Deedee wanted to become a dentist despite her musical upbringing!
2. In 1989, Deedee was an original cast member on Disney Channel‘s “All New Mickey Mouse Club” (MMC), which was taped for a live studio audience at MGM Studios (currently Hollywood Studios) in Orlando, Fla. As she reminisces on those days, she thanks her loving and supportive family for moving across country with her. She also recalls that she was grateful to do what she loves—acting, singing and dancing—as a job at the time, but remained oblivious to the lack of Asian representation on TV at the time. Here at FASO, we’re certain that Deedee’s presence on MMC inspired young Asians and Asian-Americans to claim space on TV and beyond.
3. After the MMC, Deedee was one of five Mouseketeers chosen to join a Pop group called The Party, one of the first artists on Disney’s label Hollywood Records. The Party recorded four albums and toured the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia, and opened for Vanilla Ice, Taylor Dayne and Color Me Badd. When Deedee reached high school, she asked fellow MMC alum and NSYNC member JC Chasez to her senior prom. He said yes!
4. More recently, Deedee has found great success in TV, film and on stage! She’s played Kim in Miss Saigon on Broadway, and on the musical’s Asian Tour and its second U.S. National Tour. Deedee has also appeared in “Wicked” as Nessarose on its first US National Tour and in “If/Then” on Broadway and on its U.S. National Tour. In Los Angeles, Deedee was Mrs. Walker in East West Player’s producton of “The Who’s Tommy” and is co-founder of the mommy singing group, Mama Bares.
5. Deedee voices the perfectionist Gem warrior Pearl on the acclaimed TV show “Steven Universe” on Cartoon Network!! Deedee won “Best Female Lead Vocal Performance in a Television Series – Comedy/Musical” at the 2014 Behind the Voice Actor Awards for her performance as Pearl. “Steven Universe” has quite a few beautiful musical numbers and Deedee lends her amazing vocals to them. Here’s an example! In this clip, Deedee (as Pearl) trains her young ally in the way of the sword.